FAQ: Eligibility

Who can apply?

Undergraduate students enrolled in an accredited college or university who will have completed at least two years of college (i.e. juniors and seniors only) by the OHIP summer and students enrolled in graduate programs are eligible to apply. Recent graduates cannot be out of school for more than six months prior to the start of OHIP (i.e. students are not eligible if they graduated prior to December of 2018).

Our funding agencies do not allow us to provide internships to anyone considered post-doctorate (i.e. anyone who has an MD  or a PhD by the summer of 2019 is NOT eligible for OHIP). In addition, we cannot offer positions to students who have doctorate degrees and are now pursuing a graduate degree (i.e. MD or MBBS pursuing an MPH ).

I graduate in May 2019, can I still apply?

Yes, you are eligible to apply. If you graduate within 6 months of the beginning of the summer program, you are eligible to apply to the program. For example, if you graduated in December 2018, you are eligible to apply. However, if you graduated in May 2018, you are NOT eligible to apply.

Do I have to be a U.S. citizen?

This depends on our funding sources from year to year. Most of our funding for student stipends comes from a federal government program which restricts student support to U.S. citizens and Alien/Permanent Residents (Green card holders).  All students must provide evidence of being able to work in the U.S.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (“DACA”) individuals or undocumented individuals are eligible to apply for the OHIP program. If accepted into the program, DACA students will have to provide an unexpired Employee Authorization Document (EAD) prior to participating in the program. It is possible that this program may change in 2019.  Please contact Ingrid Denis at 1-888-347-2632 if you are a DACA applicant. 

What paperwork do I need if I am NOT a U.S. citizen?

On the application, select the status that applies to you.  If you are selected into the program, you will need to provide one of the following:

  • Permanent Resident card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
  • F-1 visa holders require permission from their university.  Must be approved for practical training and have a approval on I-20 or Employee Authorization Document (EAD)
  • J-1 visa holders require permission from their Exchange Visitor Sponsor.
  • DACA students must provide an unexpired EAD.

Do I have to be in a certain major or field to apply?

No, but your application should explain the link between your current area of study and workplace health and safety. For undergraduates, this could include public health, environmental studies, public policy, and other related studies. At the graduate level we often seek students enrolled in medicine, nursing, or public health programs, but consider students from other disciplines.

More Questions about Eligibility? Contact Ingrid Denis at idenis@aoec.org or call 888-347-2632.