OHIP began in 2004 with support from NIOSH to the Association of Occupational and Environmental Clinics (AOEC). In 2008, AOEC received a three-year NIOSH Training Program Grant (TPG) for OHIP. This is the only training grant from NIOSH specifically designed to recruit occupational health professionals through a summer internship experience.
In addition to core support from the NIOSH TPG, substantial support has been provided by The California Wellness Foundation (TCWF). Beginning in 2007, TCWF has supported training and leadership development for both summer and year-round OHIP interns in California who have worked with a wide variety of community-based and labor organizations.
Many other organizations have provided crucial financial support to OHIP including:
- California Department of Public Health Occupational Health Branch
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences – Worker Education and Training Program
- Center for Construction Research and Training
- University of California, Berkeley Center for Occupational and Environmental Health
- University of California, Los Angeles Center for Occupational and Environmental Health
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists
- The Kazan Foundation
- University of California Ergonomics Program